Pages

Monday, July 9, 2012

Answer to a question as old as man?

I was reading Romans 3, and verses 4-8 really stood out to me.

Romans 3:4-8 (ESV):
4 By no means! Let God be true though every one were a liar, as it is written, "That you may be justified in your words, and prevail when you are judged."
5 But if our unrighteousness serves to show the righteousness of God, what shall we say? That God is unrighteous to inflict wrath on us? (I speak in a human way.)
6 By no means! For then how could God judge the world?
7 But if through my lie God's truth abounds to his glory, why am I still being condemned as a sinner?
8 And why not do evil that good may come?-as some people slanderously charge us with saying. Their condemnation is just.

So many times, people have asked themselves, is it okay to lie to protect someone else? or is it okay to lie to an enemy? Corrie Ten Boom, one of my heroes, wrote in The Hiding Place that her family discussed the lying issue while hiding Jews in their home during the Nazi invasion. Corrie thought it was okay to lie to soldiers about having Jews in their home, but her sister Nollie did not. When soldiers banged on the door of their house to search for men to force into their army, they quickly hid the men in the potato cellar under the table. Corrie felt that it was an obvious hiding place, but they didn't have much time. They let the soldiers in, who demanded to know where the men were. Nollie told them that they were under the table, and Corrie couldn't believe her ears. The soldiers looked under the table without noticing the cellar, and they thought that Nollie was teasing them. They stomped out, and the men were safe.

Corrie lied to protect the Jews, and it seemed necessary to do so, but when Nollie refused to lie, God blessed that decision and protected the boys Himself. I believe that these verses answer the question, "Is it okay to lie when...?" If you lie to bring about good, God will still count that lie as sin because it is wrong no matter what. This just fascinated me because I've wondered about it for so long. As I read about people hiding Jews and slaves, I thought that lying really was necessary and that it would be stupid to tell the truth. But now I believe that God wants us to tell the truth, even in the impossible situations, and He'll take care of the rest!

No comments:

Post a Comment