Pages

Thursday, May 31, 2012

"When Can I Fall?"

My dad was telling me about his coworker's four-year-old boy who recently got his head run over by a golf cart. The doctor installed a metal plate in his head that will become his skull as he grows, and he has recovered remarkably well. On the way to the doctor for a check-up, he told his mom authoritatively, "I want to see the doctor. I need to talk to him." When she asked him what he needed to say, he replied, "I need to ask him: when can I run, when can I jump, when can I ride my bike, and when can I fall." I was so surprised by this little boy's last question. What a cutie! The last question showed some insight on life. The boy knew that he was going to fall; it's just part of life, and he was planning on it. The doctor told him that he could run, and he could jump, but he couldn't fall that week. Obviously, the doctor couldn't control whether or not the boy fell, but he would keep him from falling if he could.

After we get injured spiritually, we usually need some recovery time. We know we're going to fall again, but God won't give us more than we can handle.

1 Corinthians 10:13 (ESV):
"No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it."

Another thing about temptation is that God doesn't cause it, so don't blame Him.

James 1:13 (ESV):
"Let no one say when he is tempted, 'I am being tempted by God,' for God cannot be tempted with evil, and he himself tempts no one."

I think God is probably like that doctor, knowing that we're not ready for a fall immediately after a spiritual emergency. He gives us some recovery time, and if you feel like you're getting pounded by temptation after temptation, realize that God won't give you more than you can bear. Rely on his strength to battle your temptations.

Philippians 4:12-13 (ESV):
"12 I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need.
13 I can do all things through him who strengthens me."

No comments:

Post a Comment